Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Baby clothes quilt

Source: www.ticcheandbea.com



In a recent newsletter for my local mothers' group an article featured crafts that capture and preserve memories of your child. There were many good ideas, such as turning your child's artwork into a poster or notecards, but the one I liked the most was turning your favorite baby clothes into a quilt. Now Mama N and Mama G could probably make such a quilt on their own, but for the rest of us there is a website that offers a baby clothes quilt kit. It offers two levels of DIY. You can cut squares from your favorite pieces that your child wore as a baby and mail them to be sewn for you into a quilt. Or if you are feeling a little adventurous you can buy the kit with instructions on how to sew the quilt yourself.

I have started setting aside clothes as Master Q and Miss V grow out of them. Some of the hand-me-downs will be used for Miss L's quilt because they bring back such vivid memories of when Miss L was a baby. I love the thought of having a quilt for each of them that holds so many memories from their first year of life. I picture having the quilts on their beds as they grow up (until they hit those rebellious teenage years when I will box them up for safe keeping until they will appreciate them again as young responsible adults!).

I am tempted to try to make one myself. My great auntie has a sewing machine that she would like to give me. And I did notice a listing of beginner sewing classes at the end of the newsletter article which definitely caught my interest.

1 comment:

  1. What a brilliant idea. I'm not sure I can bring myself to cut up their clothes though. It would really work well for girls clothes with their beautiful cotton dresses.

    Mama H you really could do this project without sending it into the company to do. It is surprisingly straight forward. For more intricate quilting you handsew them but since it is simply squares use the sewing machine. Or you can handsew each square and then use the machine to sew the binding on the sides and the backing and then stitch it all together.

    When I've got a moment I'll send you through some things to help so just keep saving those clothes and be inspired!

    ReplyDelete