Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Holy Sheep!















I finally finished this blanket for Master L. I had hoped to have it finished before he was born, but it took as long as having a baby- an additional nine months. Although Mama N sent me the yarn for the sheep and a book to try to encourage me to start crocheting, I was quite intimidated. Before Mama H had moved away, we had talked about trying to take a crochet class but it never happened. It wasn't until just before Master L was born that I became inspired. I signed up for a class at Lion Brand Studio in Union Square. It was not as much fun as laughing with over my weak attempts at crochet but I gave it a try. I thought I had about a month to work on the blanket but as you know Master L arrived three weeks early and all thoughts of crochet vanished in those foggy months.

In March, I decided to pick it up again. I went for some help again at Lion Brand and ripped the blanket out and started anew. When Mama N announced she was coming over for a trip, it was the perfect inspiration. I furiously worked to finish the blanket so she could help me with the trim and the crazy sheep. I would have never figured it out without her help here. If only she was still across the street!

I finally sewed the sheep on last week and with one sheep to go, I showed it to Aidan. He thought with one sheep in my hand, it meant the sheep came off and started pulling at the other sheep I had carefully sewn on there! Will need to put away for a little while. I am very happy with the results and it will be perfect for Liam in the fall. Just don't look too closely at the edges as they are completely uneven.

I'm also a crochet convert. As usual, Mama N was right, crochet is easy and fast.

4 comments:

  1. I am baa-side myself with how cute that blanket is.

    Unfortunately I will keep on being TKM's black sheep of crafts...no way this mama can crochet! But if you want to make more, I'll buy one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mama J! That blanket is amazing. Yours really has turned out so much better than mine. It's a nicer colour too. Those sheep look so snuggly. Master L looks chuffed. I've got another great scarf/throw/blanket pattern for you to try. I'm currently doing my third. Very addictive and quick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mamas! I had to post since it took me so darn long to do. Wish it didn't take 9 months (and I could crochet even lines) and I'd make for others. It's coincidental that Liam's favorite stuffed animal is a sheep he received at birth("Baby Sheepy" according to Master A). Hopefully he'll still like sheep as he gets bigger.

    Next crochet project- stuffed trains- a pattern Mama N found. I am very scared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama J, I am so impressed! The blanket is beautiful. I remember when you told me you wanted to make the blanket, which was just after we started knitting our first project with Mama N. You have proven (and proven quite well if I might add) that you can do anything that you set your mind to! I can't wait to see the stuffed trains. I need some inspiration to pick up a new knitting project. I can't decide whether I should knit Miss V a dress or possibly knit myself a cardigan. Mama J and Mama N, do you have favorite patterns for an infant dress or mommy cardigan? Or other ideas for my next project?

    ReplyDelete