Monday, July 5, 2010

It's a playdress, it's a daydress, it's an okay-to-spit-up-on dress


I love buying playdresses for Miss L, and boy does she love wearing them. She picks out her own clothes each morning, and she always selects a playdress and leggings. What's not to love about the concept? They are comfortable, look nice and hold up to all her playing and running around. The dress in the photo above was a recent gift from her grandparents.

I have been wanting to add a few new pieces to my own wardrobe and it's been hard to find the right ones to fit my stay-at-home lifestyle. I most want to find dresses that I can wear while doing my daily activities, and more importantly that can hold up during my daily activities. I recently visited Antrhopologie hoping to find something feminine and stylish, but the dresses looked too delicate to withstand carrying an infant in an Ergo and being a target for spit-up. I am hoping you all might have some suggestions for where I can go dress shopping. I would like to add some color to my wardrobe, something I can pair with leggings and a nice cardigan for those foggy days and something that is a little durable for all the messes that come along with having little ones. I also wouldn't mind finding a few nice skirts to go with all those Steven Alan shirts sitting in my closet. Any suggestions for this fashion-challenged mama?

6 comments:

  1. I struggle with getting outfits right too. You want to be dressed in a way that's comfortable around the house and yet passable to wear outside without getting changed. I tend to live in jersey harem style trousers at the moment with singlet tops. I can add a cardigan when cold and I still look right on trend. I also need easy access for feeding. Pattern is important for hiding food (my chocolate) and sick.

    For dresses I've been drooling over the website Modcloth.com.

    http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Dresses/What+s+Bow+n+On+Dress Perfect with sandals and a cardi

    http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Dresses/Takin+A+Dip+Dye+Dress Great for leggings and a long sleeved white top underneath or cardi on top

    http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Sheers+to+Style+Dress Something floral

    http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Dresses/Want+This+Dress+So+Plaid Another great one for leggings and a heavier cardi as the seasons change

    http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Kaleidoscope+Eyes+Dress Easy wear pattern

    Anyway there are so many dresses and tops, skirts etc on this site you'll have to find something you like. I'm kind of glad I didn't discover this gem of a site while I lived in NYC or we'd have had a lot more in our shipping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Miss L is just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PSS. Rompers are a fantastic option because they don't blow up like a dress and you can get down on the ground with the kiddies and really play.

    I LOVE the second one.

    http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Bottoms/Rompers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama N, YOU ARE THE BEST!!! I ordered a few dresses today and I can't wait for them to arrive. I am so touched that not only did you direct me to the perfect place for online shopping, but you actually took the time to pick out individual pieces that fit my style and personality. I will walk down the streets of San Francisco with renewed fashion confidence. Thank you Mama N - you made my summer.

    P.S. You make everything look so graceful and effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're too sweet. You should see what I look like 99% of the time. I get followed around the supermarket by the security guard.

    Let me know what you think of the dresses. I'm so tempted to order too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is an idea I think would work well in SF: Roberta Freyman Roller Rabbit. The site isnt great and doesnt have as much variety in dresses but the kurtas are great thrown over jeans, leggings, white jeans, cargos and the shirts with collars looklong enough to wear as dresses. These are also great beach cover ups. Her pareos are the best. Check it out:

    http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/robertarollerrabbit/the-Women/Categories

    ReplyDelete