Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Food revolution!


I love Mama J's post about sharing simple, quick and healthy recipes. I've been making an effort to try new recipes to expand my repertoire. Mister T is getting tired of my roasted chicken with vegetables.

I purchased the Jamie Oliver app for my iPhone and I really love the recipes. He claims they are 20 minute meals, but they are definitely more like 40 to 60 minute meals (I guess if you weren't cooking in your own kitchen and did everything really fast not caring about how big a mess you made because you weren't going to be the one cleaning up then it would take you 20 minutes). The app comes with a ton of recipes and he does provide app updates you can download for new recipes.
Miss L's favorite Jamie Oliver recipe is the chicken tikka masala. I've also tried his vegetarian curry with paneer, potato and peas. He has a wonderful potato leek soup and the sausage and zucchini carbonara is out of this world. A really simple one is sausages with baked cannellini beans.
I love the range of cuisine and the recipes are really easy to follow. The meals look so nice when they are plated and most of all they taste delicious! Sometimes you need to make little adjustments because he is writing the recipes from a British perspective, like always skip step 1 which is to put your kettle on (electric kettles aren't as popular here to boil water). One recipe called for chipolata sausages which are very hard to find here so I substituted toulouse sausages.
I also have also made the Mexican family dinner from goop a couple of times. It is really easy and a fun family dinner. Essentially you make shrimp tacos with homemade guacamole and pico de gallo with a side of black beans that have been seasoned nicely to add more flavor. I thought Mama J may like this recipe since Mister R makes such a great guacamole.
Sorry I didn't include the actual recipes, but I don't want to get in trouble with Steve Jobs for not using my iPhone correctly, nor do I want to get in trouble with Gwyneth's people.

4 comments:

  1. Will have to download the Jamie Oliver app Mama H- those sound great!

    Mama L- you must post your yummy fish taco recipe- our friends all loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I'll have to post some recipes since I have been trying a new one each night for weeks now. Not many are going in the regular weekly cook though. Have to be super easy and yum for that.

    You can't get in trouble for posting links to recipes or to giving a source to a recipe so post away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded Jamie Olivers app and tried the risotto: delicious but took 40 mins not 20! I spent a fortune on the essentials list he has so now I am commited to making some of the other dishes. My favorite healthy, simple one pan option is fish in parchment: basically you put any grain, veg and or fish in parchement, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, either fold up or tie parchment and back at 350 for about 25 minutes. I do individual servings and can customize depending on who likes what. My favorite combo is to place israeli cous cous with sun dried tomatoes down first, then some spinach, then halibut, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper. Honestly you can do anything though, just have grains cooked in advance and slice veggies according to softness ie squash, zucchini etc, raw (spinach) and cooking time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mama J! I promise i am going to post them this week. I finally got my email access back and have been catching up on everyone's posts. With Mister M out of the house this evening, I hope to post away . . we'll see.xox

    ReplyDelete