Monday, March 16, 2009

California here I come, California here I go




Mister T, Miss L and I just returned from a two-week trip to San Francisco. We were fortunate to arrive just in time for a nice stretch of warm, sunny weather between the rainstorms. Spring was definitely in the air. The waterfalls were gushing on Mt. Tam and the rolling hills were lush and green in the bright sunlight. Mama N's brown jacket turned out to be a perfect wardrobe piece for the trip!

We loved our stay in Noe Valley. It is like being in Park Slope, just replace all of the Bugaboos with jogging strollers and picture everyone wearing a fleece. There are no chain stores, just one Starbuck's and a Whole Foods arriving shortly.

We spent each morning at Bernie's coffee shop on 24th. Miss L loved running in and out of the shop, climbing on the sidewalk benches and feeding her croissant to the dogs tied up outside. Seeing Miss L's endless energy the locals kindly pointed us toward a wonderful toddler playground just up the street. Miss L loved the slides and showed no fear climbing up to the top to slide down by herself. This is where she takes after Mister T and not me who as a child had to be rescued numerous times by my dad because I was too scared to go down the slide after climbing up to it.

I was able to visit a few yarn stores in Marin and San Francisco. I also went with my mom to her lovely knitting circle in Bolinas. We sat around the table in the yarn shop knitting on a quiet sunny afternoon with only the sound of a flute playing in the background from a neighbor down the street. Quite a different scene from knitting in the city!

I had high hopes for finishing my Mom's scarf by the end of the trip, but I just didn't devote enough time to it. I tried to knit each evening after Miss L went to bed, but sometimes I ended up staying up and talking with my dad instead. I also got completely absorbed in Mama L's book club selection for this month, America, America. I am starting to get used to the lace pattern so hopefully I will pick up some speed and will be able to send my mom a finished object in the next week or so.

Being back in San Francisco felt great, but it also felt wonderful to arrive back in New York, which really feels like my home. In an ideal world I would have a home in both places, but I know that isn't realistic right now. San Francisco is calling us back, which makes me very sad when I think of how much I missed my mama friends and this amazing city I call home when I was away for just two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment